Photobucket

Monday, January 17, 2011

Two Problems, Two Quick Solutions

I don't know if you guys are like this, but I can easily fall into a "I don't have anything to eat" grump. Which is usually an unjustified grump, because I usually DO have food. Often the problem is really that I'm bored with what I've been eating. So I try to find ways to be a little creative and mix it up -- with some decent results. Here are two I did today, on the fly and as two good ways to make something fast and tasty.


1) What Do I Eat For Dinner When I've Just Worked Out and I'm Starving?

Tonight, we finished our team workout. I went to the grocery store to grab some extra veggies/berries that I hadn't been able to get during my "big" weekly shopping trip. I really wanted to eat this great chicken hummus wrap that I had made a few times before, but I've been trying to get in my carbs via fruits/veggies/beans, so I didn't want to get bread. And I was starving -- I needed to be able to eat something ASAP when I get home (I already had some cooked chicken in the fridge, ready to go).

Solution: Large Leaf Romaine

I grabbed two large pieces of romaine, spread each with half a Sabra hummus single, put on the chicken (sliced into relatively thin strips), topped with a few pieces of roasted red pepper and a tablespoon of reduced-fat feta.

1 pack hummus: 3 protein, 2 fiber, 250 sodium, 150 calories
2 TBSP reduced fat feta cheese: 3 protein, 0 fiber, 95 sodium, 30 calories
2.5 oz chicken: 16 protein, 0 fiber, 46 sodium, 78 calories
Plus romaine and roasted red peppers --

There are lots of things you could throw on the side of this -- some spinach with balsamic, a pepper cut into strips, etc. But it was quick, filling, and tasted really really good.

2) Post-Midnight Procrastination Snack

This was really a solution to three problems: I am up late
to work, and I am hungry, and I am short about 250 calories to make it to 1200 for the day.

Solution: Eggs with veggies, black bean and salsa

I took 1 cup of spinach, one chopped clove of garlic and a handful of chopped onion and sauted them on the stove for a minute or so. In the meantime, I scrambled two egg whites and one whole egg, then dumped it over the veggies to cook up. Afterwards, I threw it in a bowl with 1/3 cup of washed and drained black beans and put 1/4 of a cup of my staple homemade salsa on top.

Voila!


I'm also drinking a (measured) cup of skim milk with this, to push me right over the calorie line for the day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Love the midnight snack idea! Sounds like a lot of great flavors, and you could eat that any time of day!

January 18, 2011 at 4:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

<